Are you bored of Couscous salad? Try this instant couscous idlies. Make your breakfast healthy and tasty.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 8-10 idlies
Since all these hype on couscous and quinoa. . I got 1 pack of Couscous and made a salad only couple of times, which made almost 80 % of the pack to sleep and occupy the space in my pantry. This was because the use of couscous in an Indian kitchen seems to be very very less, Yet to make my toddlers diet healthy i used couscous to make baked cheese patties for her and also used it to make chicken balls couple of times. Still there was more left as a little bit goes far. Then one fine day I decided to check the internet for recipes but dint find any Indian dishes that could be made with couscous. After a while my think out of the box mind suddenly glowed and I started to check if there are any one who has tried to make idlies out of couscous, Voila there were few out of box thinkers and I was glad to try them.. that's how I got this recipe from http://tamalapaku.blogspot.com, which I tweaked to our taste buds.
Hope you all will like it too and enjoy the healthy dish. Spread the happiness around you as much as possible.
Watch the video recipe here
Sooji / Semolina / Rava
1 cup (well beaten) (or as required)
1 medium, chopped
1 tsp, finely chopped
1 tsp, finely chopped
Carrots or any vegetables
Finely chopped/grated 1 cup
Cashews/ any nuts
2 Tbsp (optional)
1. Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard, cumin, chana dal, allow the seeds to pop.
2. Then add hing, onion, ginger, green chilies and saute for few minutes.
3. Once the onions are translucent tip in the carrots and cook it for few minutes
4. Then add rava, cashews, couscous and saute for atleast 5 minutes on medium low flame or until the mixture becomes dry.
5. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile grease the idly plates and start boiling the water for steaming the idlies.
6. After 10 minutes add salt, curd and mix well. Immediately add baking soda and more water if needed, this mixture will absorb liquid like crazy. This step must be done bit faster.
7. The final batter must be of thick idly batter consistency, too much liquid will end up giving you flat and very soft idlies.
8. Pour the batter as soon as possible to the idly plates and steam cook it for 12- 15 minutes.
9. After cooking rest for couple of minutes before unmolding and serve hot with your favorite chutney.