Tomato chutney is one of the spicy chutneys of south Indian cuisine. Its is easy and quick to make. There are many versions of tomato chutneys out there , But this recipe is the one which my family loves specially my husband. Tomato chutney is the felicitous accompaniment to any south Indian breakfast and momo.
Dry red chilies
Small marble size
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add red chilies, cumin seeds, garlic cloves and fry until the raw flavor vanishes.
2. Add tamarind, tomato and sauté until the tomatoes are cooked and soft.
3. Allow the mixture to cool and grind it in a blender into a smooth paste.
4. In the same pan heat 1 tsp. of oil ( Sesame Oil preferred). Add mustard, red chili, cumin and let the seeds splutter.
5. Then add urad dal, Asafetida and sauté till color change. Switch off the flame and finally add curry leaves.
6. Add the tempering to the tomato mixture and serve.
Best served with Idly, dosa, pongal. Tomato chutney without the tempering can be used as a You can spicy spread for your sandwiches and as sauce for your momos.