Are you bored of having rice? Try this recipe and add a zing to your old recipe. Experience the mix of vibrant flavors in one dish!
Prep time: < 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Lemon rice a part of all south Indian houses. This dish is not only for festive season but also ideal for travel in olden days, since they have pretty long shelf life without any preservatives. Lemon rice is a quick recipe which can be prepared at a short notice. Its best for lunch box and for a lazy holiday brunch. Lemon Zest adds freshness to the dish. This lemon rice recipe takes the simple white rice to a whole new level with the tangy flavor of lemon, sweetness from nuts and spice from tempering.
1 Lemon/ 2 Tbsp.
Lemon zest (optional)
Oil ( Sesame oil preferably)
Green chilies, split lengthwise (Dry red chilies, broken)
Ginger, finely Chopped
1. Cook the rice with 2 cups of water and spread it on a wide plate to cool. Or just use leftover rice.
2. Heat oil in a pan add Mustard (if your using red chili this is the right time to add it), chana dal, peanuts and fry for few minutes.
3. Then add cashews, urad dal, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, hing and turmeric.
4. Now add the mixture to the rice and mix it well. Then pour lime juice by in 3 parts, salt and continue mixing gently.
5. The rice will taste lemony but as time passes for about 15 - 30 minutes the rice will absorb the sourness and it will taste great while you serve.
6. Finally add lemon zest just before serving to add freshness to your dish.
• Best served with spicy pickle, thogayal , potato fry or simply potato chips. • If you are going to serve this dish right away reduce the lime juice to 1- 1.5 Tbsp.