Spicy & tangy orange rice is the new addition that will awe your taste buds. Its ideal for lunch boxes and quick to make in your busy mornings.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
I got this recipe from my co sister which has become a big hit due its color and taste, even my lil toddler loves this dish for its unique tastes. This spicy coconutty orange rice can be a best way to introduce spicy food to your kids.
When im bored and looking for something different & quick to make I make this dish, this orange rice can be made with simple ingredients that you already have in your pantry. If we are planning for a shopping then this dish is definitely on or list, cause after shopping we all get to eat something tasty and more over can be made ahead of time.
Watch the video recipe here
Green chutney/ mint
Dry red chilies
1. Wash & soak the rice for at least 20 minutes.
2. Now lets make orange paste, in a mixer grind dry red chilies, ginger, garlic, coconut & onion into a fine paste. Keep it aside.
3. In a large heavy bottom pot, add ghee, oil , cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves, green chilies and sauté for few seconds.
4. Then add onion & tomatoes and sauté until the tomatoes are mushy.
5. Once done add green paste, turmeric, salt, orange paste and cook well for few more minutes.
6. Finally add 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling add rice and check for seasoning and adjust it as per requirement.
7. Cover and cook the rice for 10- 12 minutes on medium low flame. (you could also pressure cook it as usual).
8. Fluff up the rice and serve after 10 minutes. Serve hot with raita or mushroom capsicum gravy, panner gravy , aloo gobi.
1. If your serving for kids you can reduce the no of dry red chilies to 2 and omit green chilies. 2. You could pressure cook as well.