Andra Style Spicy Brinjal Curry (or) Ennai Katharikai Kuzhambhu
Try this recipe if you dare!! The tender baby eggplant/ brinjals cooked in the hot & spicy masala is the most divine dish for any spicy foodie in the world.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Andhra/ Telugu cuisine is famous for hot & spicy food. The tender baby Eggplant/ brinjal in a spicy curry is one of their specialty dishes. This recipe is one of its kind.
While I was watching a cooking program (pudhuyugam Tv) I got this recipe and tweaked it for easy cooking . This spicy brinjal curry impressed me for its easy cooking. Its just roast , grind , stuff and cook all. As a newbie these type of recipes were a gift from heaven for me. This hot & spicy brinjal curry is one of my go to recipe to impress any vegetarian friends from south.
Hope you will give this a try and enjoy !!!!
Watch the video recipe here
Small Eggplants/ Brinjal
1/3 - 1/2 cup
Dry red chilies
1. Start by soaking some tamarind in little warm water.
2. In a pan/ kadai dry roast peanuts until skin breaks, then add few drops of oil, sesame seeds, dry red chilies, coriander seeds,peppercorn and roast for few seconds .
3. Then tip in cuminseeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and dry roast for few more seconds. Allow the mixture to cool.
4. Now in a mixie jar add the dry roasted ingredients and roughly grind into a powder. Then add soaked tamarind, garlic, onions, salt and grind into a thick paste. Do not add too much water.
Note: You will cry once you open the mixe jar…Be careful..
5. Then slit the washed brinjals into quarters with the crown intact like shown in the vedio.
6. Stuff in the brinjal/ Eggplant cavities with the ground thick paste and set aside. You could use a spoon to stuff if your hands are sensitive to spices.
7. Now in a separate wide kadai/ pan heat sesame oil and add the tempering ingredients like , mustard, curry leaves, onion, turmeric and saute for few minutes.
8. Then add the stuffed eggplant/ Brinjal mix and cook for 5- 7 minutes. Until the brinjals become soft.
9. Finally add the remaining masala, jaggery with as little water as possible and cook the curry on medium low heat for 15- 20 minutes stirring in between, until oil oozes and brinjals are soft.
10. Serve hot with rice or any Indian breakfast.
1. Roasting ingredients in low flame is important. 2. Cooking the curry on medium low flame until oil oozes will ensure the masalas are cooked thoroughly.