Chettinadu Style Spicy Vazhakkai Podimas/ Plantain Stir Fry. Cooked Plantain tempered in a fragrant and spicy masala powder, Great accompaniment with steamed rice, sambar and rasam.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Easy vazhakkai recipe - this is a popular dish in chettinadu. The bland plantain/ vazhakkai is mixed with the spicy chettinadu masala which is fragrant and makes the entire dish awesome.
When I got bored with making the same vazhakkai recipe, I happened to stumble upon this awesome recipe in Kannammacooks site. I tried once and fell in love with it. Then on, whenever I make tomato sambar/ more kuzhambhu this has become one of my to go accompaniment. I had made few adjustments to this original recipe to suit my families tastebuds. Feel free to tweek and enjoy.
Hope you guys will give it a try and enjoy with your family. Lets spread the happiness.
Watch the video recipe here
1. Firstly cook the Plantain(raw banana)/vazhakkai to fork tender in some water. It takes about 12- 15 minutes on a medium flame.
2. Then take out the plantains, rest and grate it on a box grater or just mash it with a fork. Set it aside.
3. Meanwhile in a pan, dry roast urad dal, chanadal, red chilies, coriander seeds, fennel seeds on a medium low flame for few minutes.
4. Transfer the ingredients to a plate to cool before grinding.
5. Then in the same pan add coconut and dry roast until it turns golden brown.
6. Grind all the dry roasted items along with jaggery and tamarind in a mixe jar and keep aside.
7. Now in a bigger pan, heat up oil and add mustard, curry leaves and hing.
8. Allow the seeds to pop and add in the shredded plantain/ vazhakkai along with turmeric, spice powder and salt.
9. Mix all together, cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture comes together.
Serve with steamed rice.
1. I used coconut oil in this recipe, you could use sesame oil too. 2. I have boiled the plantain/ vazhakkai in this recipe, You could steam cook or even pressure cook them.