Diabetic friendly Horsegram Chutney(or) Kollu Thogayal
This easy yet satisfying weight loss chutney is a proven remedy for diabetes too. Enjoy this guiltfree addiction.
Prep time: < 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Horsegram / kollu/ gahat/muthira/kulath or kulthi/ hurali.
You may know this in any of its name and its one of the popular beans known for its weight reducing properties. This miraculous legume not only helps in weight loss but also cures impotency and many other medical illness.
I dedicate this recipe to my best childhood friend's mom (SHEEBA SILVIA's MOM). She is a great cook and a loving mother for her daughter and to others. Thank you aunty for all the love and thanks for this recipe.
This is one of the recipe I longed for more than 5 years. I have tried many such chutney recipes from the internet and yet couldn’t taste anything close to her's. Finally after so many years I got the recipe and delighted myself with a good meal.
This story is to prove you that its worth trying this recipe at least once and you may notice yourself addicted.
NOTE: If the patient is suffering from non-bleeding piles with constipation, then he is encouraged to include horse gram in his diet. IT'S NOT RECCOMMENDED FOR PREGNANT WOMEN AND PATIENTS WITH BLEEDING PILES.
Watch the video recipe here
Horse gram/ kollu, Pressure Cooked
Coconut Oil/ Any Cooking oil
Small marble sized
1. Soak Horse gram/ kollu at least 4-6 hrs or overnight.
2. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles and strain the water ( Use the water to make Kollu Rasam).
3. Heat oil in a pan and add green chilies, garlic cloves, tamarind and saute for few seconds.
4. Finally add sliced onions and sauté until golden color.
5. Now spread the mixture on a plate and allow it to cool completely.
6. In a mixer add the cooked mixture and run it for 30 secs, the mixture will be coarsely ground.
7. Finally add cooked Horse gram/ kollu, salt and grind into a fine paste.
8. Serve with hot rice and ghee or and some tempering and serve it as a side for idlies or dosas.
1. More the chilies better it tastes. 2. Coconut oil adds a different dimension. If you are out of coconut oil just add ghee. 3. To make a delicious chutney for breakfasts, dilute the chutney with some water and add tempering to it.