Are you out of veges to make your side dishes, Looking for an easy option? then appalam kootu is the prefect recipe for you. Its papad in a lentil curry, has different textures and great accompaniment for any spicy kara kuzhambu.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
I am a great fan of papad/ appalam, growing up in a chennai home this appala poo kootu is one of the sophisticated dishes that’s made only when we are out of vegetables. The soft salty papad/ appalam in a spicy lentil curry is one of my favourite dish. ( im drooling as im typing)
At one point in every household you may have faced where there is no vegetables to prepare any regular dish. This appalam kootu recipe comes in handy on those days. I make these after fridge cleaning days. Just make garlic kuzhambhu/pepper kuzhambhu/ sukku kuzhambhu and appalam kootu as side dishes for these. Adding potato totally is optional since to make the gravy more we add potatoes in it.
It’s a great accompaniment for spicy kara kuzhambhu like ennai katharikai kuzhambhu too.
Hope you will give this recipe a try and eat healthy even without vegetables. Happy tummies happy family. Spread the joy & health.
Watch the video recipe here
6-9 medium ones
Coconut Paste :
Dry red chilies
Onion, chopped (optional)
1. Wash & Soak the dal for at least an hour.
2. Pressure cook the dal with chili powder, turmeric, salt, garlic and potato (optional). Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles. We are just looking to cook it right soft and yet holds its shape.
3. Meanwhile prepare the coconut paste. Grind together green chili, fennel seeds & coconut into a fine paste.
4. Then fry the papad/ appalam in oil and keep aside.
5. Once the cooker pressure is released. In a kadai/ heavy bottom pan heat some oil for tempering.
6. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chili, hing, curry leaves, onion and saute for few minutes.
7. Then add the cooked dal, mashed potato, coconut paste and more water. The curry must be thin at this stage. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Finally add in the fried appalams and cook for 2 more minute or until they become soft. Remove from heat immediately.
9. Now check for seasoning and add salt if needed, be careful while adding salt since the appalam or papad itself is salty.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any spicy kara kuzhambhu & steamed rice.
1. Cook the dal to perfections, not under cooked/ over cooked. 2. Adding onion is optional you can skip . 3. Adding the salt at the end gives more control. 4.They curry should be bit on the liquid side, it will thicken as it cools.