The sweet taste of the small prawns and the peppery flavors are marriage made in heaven. Delicious cure for common cold.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
This Prawn Pepper Masala recipe is too one of my own experiments. I dint follow any recipe I just flowed my intuition and gut. It was winter day and we decided to have a warm meal. Since we caught cold we had to make something with pepper. I know pepper chicken or simple pepper rasam would do the trick. But I was bit more ambitious and didn't want to loose the non veg day. Not every time we have prawns on hand. So I tried to make this prawn pepper masala. And guess what it really came out well.
This prawn pepper masala goes well with egg biriyani or just rice too. Very versatile dish . You can make it as a dry gravy with less water or can make it to a curry by just adding extra water. Finally top it with fresh ground pepper and this will surely be one of your go tos on a sick day like mine.
Don’t forget to watch the 2 minute video. Hope you guys would give it a try and enjoy. Share your experience please.
Watch the video recipe here
Onion, finely chopped
Tomato, finely chopped
Pepper masala paste
Sesame Seeds (Optional)
1. Deshell and wash the prawns well and keep it aside.
2. In a small blender add coconut, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, peppercorns, green chili, ginger & garlic (all ingredients under masala paste) and grind into a paste. Use little water if needed.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds to it.
4. Once the seeds starts to crackle add in the chopped onion, turmeric & little salt and sauté until onions are transparent.
5. Then add in chopped tomatoes and cook until the mixture turns mushy and oil separates.
6. Now add the masala paste along with little water and cook for about 5 minutes on medium low flame or until the raw flavor of ginger and garlic is gone.
7. Once the oil starts to separate again and the mixture turns greenish black then add the prawns and cook for 5-10 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
Finally top the dish with some fresh ground pepper & garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.