A simple, healthy podi recipe that enhance any kind of meals. Homemade powder that stores well and is nutritious.
Prep time: <5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
This legendary dish is from Andhra Cuisine. Every household and even restaurants stock up this podi at all times. This protein rich recipe is good for even pregnant women and kids. Mix with steaming rice and enjoy your meal.
Fried gram dal/ Udaitha kadalai
Desiccated coconut/ Koparai thengai
Dry red chilies
Flax seeds (optional)
1. Keep all the ingredients on hand beside the cook top.
2. Heat a heavy bottom pan upto medium low.
3. Dry roast the following ingredients individually for 2-5 minutes on low heat Fried gram dal, Desiccated coconut, Dry red chilies, Cumin and allow it to cool.
4. In a Mixer grinder or a coffee grinder add all the roasted ingredients along with garlic, hing, flax seeds and salt as needed and grind into powder.
5. Serve with hot steaming rice and ghee.
• Store in an air tight container for about 2-3 months.
In 1793, ground-roast chickpeas were noted by a German writer as a substitute for coffee in Europe. In the First World War, they were grown for this use in some areas of Germany. They are still sometimes brewed instead of coffee.