1. Lets start by washing and then soaking chickpeas. This should be done at least 8 hrs prior to making the recipe. I usually soak it overnight and make it for next day lunch. For less time see tips*.
2. Then pressure cook the chickpeas with 1 cup of water and little salt for 3-4 whistles.
3. Allow the pressure to release and check the doneness. It should hold its shape and be firm yet easily mashable like shown in the video.
4. Now lets wash the basmati rice and soak it at least for 30 mins.
5. Finally lets prepare the masala powder mix. Add cinnamon, cloves, mace, jeera, mustard, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, kalonji, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric into a mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder. By now almost 15 mins is gone..
6. Now in a small bowl take curd/yoghurt, add about 2 tsp of the ground masala powder, then add pickle about 1 tsp (I used mango pickle) and mix all the ingredients well to combine.
1. In a pot/ pressure cooker heat ghee and oil.
2. When the oil mixture is heated add cardamom , bay leaves and green chilies, sauté for couple of seconds until the seeds pop.
3. Next add sliced onions and cook until translucent. (optional: add a pinch of salt to sweat out the onions better.)
4. Then add the 2-3 tsps masala powder, hing, ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavor is gone. Takes about couple of minutes.
5. Now add the cooked chickpeas, salt , curd mixture and garam masala if needed.
6. Cover and cook in medium flame for about 5 minutes. This ensures that the chickpeas soaks up the flavors. By now drain the rice and keep it ready.
7. After 5 minutes stir the mixture and add water and bring it to rapid boil. Now is the time to taste test for spices. The water should be slightly salty and spicy
8. Once the water boils, add the rice, mint and mix for the last time. Cover tightly and cook on low flame for about 10-12 minutes.
9. After cooking it for 10- 12 minutes take it off the heat and open the lid, run a fork to fluff up the rice. Finally garnish with coriander and serve hot after 10 minutes.
1. If you don’t have pickle just add lime juice to the chickpeas masala. You can even add amchur powder for a twist.
2. If you don’t have all the ingredients to the masala powder just add 2 tsp garam masala,1-2 tsp chili powder, 1tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp Onion seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds . Increase the quantity of pickle you use for the pickily taste.
3. If you like the tangy flavor pulao add lime juice or amchur powder to the boiling water.
Lessen the time to cook chickpeas: wash the chickpeas and add boiling water to it in a pressure cooker and cover the lid. Let it sit for about 1 hour. Then cook the chickpeas as usual:).. Viola!!!