Easy to make Ladies finger/ okra recipe which accompanies best for both rice and chapatis. This simple recipe will get your lazy days meal done in less time.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: <15 minutes
Ladies Finger aka okra, bhindi, vendakkai and so on. It is one of the health food popularly known for high fiber and foliate content, which is essential for pregnant women and kids. But its slimy texture makes its way to the top of kids hate list, I know this because, I was one of the victim when young. Luckily my mother in low shared one of her tips and it helped me to get hooked to this wonderful vegetable.
Watch the video recipe here
1. Heat oil in a kadai/pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and allow the seeds to pop.
2. Then add garlic cloves, chopped onions and saute until the onions turn golden.
3. Now add ladies finger/Vendakkai , turmeric, salt and mix together gently. This helps tp get rid of the slimy texture.
4. Allow the mixture to cook on a medium high flame for about 5 minutes, stirring in-between. Do not be tempted to add any water.
5. Once the ladies finger gets cooked, add chili powder, chopped tomato, mix and cook the mixture with lid on, until tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Finally once you get your desired consistency serve with hot rice/ chapati as a side dish.
1. Salt & turmeric helps to render & get rid of the slime from the ladies finger. Do not add water, just cover and cook until done.