Glide in your mouth restaurant style kesari for two with no artificial coloring. Amaze your spouse and family with this easy and decadent dessert.
Prep time: <5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Caution: This recipe is purely for the foodies who are not calorie cautious but are taste cautious. Sheera , Kesari bhat, Sooji Halwa is one of most common sweet at every indian household.
Im not a sweet tooth kind of a person. But anytime I would go for this kesari specially made by my MIL. She is the expert in sweets and snacks. Will keep sharing her recipes one by one.
I still remember the tragic event of me making kesari for the 1st time. As any newly wedded I was very eager to surprise and get the attention of my husband. Soon after our marriage came his birthday and I (at that time was new to kitchen and couldn’t distinguish between dals ) wanted to surprise him with a full meal from starters to dessert. On that day I came to know that kesari was his favorite and I wanted to make.
I eventually made a dish so called kesari which was a yellow glob. I made it with turmeric for colour and ended up with this mess. But my loving husband enjoyed it and ate all.. Poor little soul..
Little did I know that his mom makes the best kesari ever and thus he likes it. After that I have tried many recipes on the net and finally only her recipe could give the perfect texture and glide in your mouth kesari. Thus this recipe is the ultimate copy cat of saravana bhavan restaurant style kesari with no preservatives.
Watch the video recipe here
1. Bring a cup of water to boil in a saucepan.
2. Soak few saffron strands in 2 tbsp of hot water and bring the rest of the water to boil on a medium flame.
3. Just add the saffron powder to the boiling water.
4. Meanwhile heat a separate pan for making kesari.
5. Roast rava/sooji and cashew nuts in a tsp of ghee on a low flame.
6. Roast until the cashews turn golden. This may take 5-7 minutes. This is the most important step for the kesari.
7. Once the cashews change color slowly add 1/2 cup of boiling water and saffron water, stirring continuously.
8. After all the water is absorbed add sugar and continue mixing until they reach slightly thick consistency
9. Finally add cardamom powder , ghee and cook until ghee oozes out.
10. Serve hot with your meals or just with a scoop of ice-cream.
1. Broken cashews are used because you can get crunchy bit on every bite. You could add other nuts as well. 2. Water must be boiling when you use it. This is very crucial. 3. You can add saffron directly to water or soak it. 4. If you forgot to soak the saffron just make it into a powder using a pestle and a motor and add it to the water. 5. Can be refrigerated for 5 days.