A coarse spice mixture condiment used as a side dish for south Indian breakfast like idli and dosa. This nutty idli podi is made nutrious not only with dals but also with added flaxseeds. Flaxseeds adds extra fiber to the kids diet.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
As parents we are on constant hunt for recipes to sneak in fiber and others nutritious blend. This idli Podi, Idly podi, Milagai podi, Idli powder, chutney powder or Gun powder is specially created to adapt for the kids with less spiciness and more nutrition. This recipe courtesy goes to one my co sisters mom. I'm yet to get her prawn pickle recipe which I will share soon..
Morning breakfast with preschoolers is difficult because of time constraint. In our house the breakfast should be like a finger food .. Like just idlies, muffins, modaks or kozhukattais, dosa ect.. Just idli is a good light break fast for adults but for kids they need much more. When sambar is not accepted try these idli podi with sesame oil and kids will surely fall in love. Rich in fiber and protein like dals. Trust me even before you realize you kid starts to like it you will have to make the next batch. Because it addictive even for adults.
Hope you will give these a try and share your experience. If interested check out other kids friendly recipes like Banana Muffins, soft modaks or kozhukattais, karupatti paniyaram.
Watch the video recipe here
Fried gram dal/ Bengal gram
Dry red chilies
Handful/ 1/2 tsp powder
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Heat a pan on medium low flame. Dry roast flax seeds, fried gram dal until the seeds are heated through. About few minutes. Keep it aside in on a plate to cool.
2. Then add few drops of oil and roast dry chilies until they turn crispy, if you use fresh curry leaves roast that too at this point. Set aside.
3. Then roast Urad dal until golden brown on a medium low heat. It takes about 10- 12 minutes. Stir constantly for even cooking.
4. Finally allow the roasted ingredients to cool for few minutes.
5. At last grind it in a blender along with hing and salt into a coarse powder.
Mix it with sesame oil/ coconut oil and serve with idly, dosa and hot steamed rice…
1. You can add nuts too. Just increase the no of chilies. 2. Instead of washed urad dal you can use black skinned urad dal too for more fiber. 3. You could double the recipe for a big batch.
Flax seed and flax seed oil have numerous health benefits for children and adults. As part of a balanced diet, flax seed provides a rich source of the precursors to omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seed and flax seed oil are good sources of dietary protein and fiber.