Satisfy everyone in your home with the yummy and healthy karupatti / palm jaggery Bondas, Paniyarams and Dosas. Be it for breakfast or snacks it is simple and instantly made. This 3 in 1 recipe is suitable for toddler families too.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dedicated for my nephew. A school goer who is eager to eat right and healthy. He wanted me to share this recipe with the world.
If you’re a mum then you know how difficult it's to make your little tods eat anything without sugar in it, when all they want is to play and eat only yoghurt. I have a toddler myself and she has been following BLW(baby led weaning) right from start. These are good start for you little once to encourage self-feeding too.
As most mums now a days I too try to avoid sugar stuffs to my little one. In the quest to find something to make healthy and likeable by her i started experimenting.. once I tried to make paniyaram and found that i dint have a paniyaram maker so made into bondas and she loved it.. this is one of the way i gave her bananas too. She was 1 when she ate these bondas since then the word bondas make her go crazy for. I don’t feel guilty by giving these, since palm jaggery has many benefits and improving immunity is the best of all.
Slowly i developed the recipe after many trial and error to get 3 varieties form 1. Yeah the title was not a typo... just by thinning the batter to correct consistency you can achieve different types of outputs. Karuppati sweet bondas, karupatti paniyarams and banana pancakes or dosa. The most awesome part is you can make it instantly. ..
Hope you and your little toddler will enjoy these..
Sugarless, muffins are soon to come for these tiny hands and tired moms..
Watch the video recipe here
Karupatti/ palm jaggery
1/2 cup + more
Sweet Karupatti Bonda:
1. In a pan add 1/2 cup water and palm jaggery and heat it up until the jaggery dissolves.
2. Now strain the mixture using a sieve. The total output I got was 3/4 cup of jaggery syrup.
3. In a separate bowl add well mashed/ ground banana, wheat flour, rice flour and mix well. Now the mixture will be like a dough.
4. Then add 1/2 cup jaggery syrup and mix into a thick batter. Add the syrup in small increments. If the syrup is oven u can add some water too. I used up to 1 cup of liquid in total.
5. Now add baking soda, cardamom powder and shredded coconut and mix until well combined.
6. The important step is to make the batter thick like vada/ bonda batter. It should form peaks. Refer the video.
7. Heat oil In a kadai. Once the oil is hot then carefully drop in a small portion of the batter.
8. Stir and fry them until golden brown in a medium heat. Transfer the bonda's to a paper towel.
9. Serve it hot with tea or milk as a snack..
Karupatti/ Palm jaggery Paniyaram:
1. To the above thick batter add about 2 tbsp of water and mix until well combined. This should get the batter into a ribbon stage. Check the video.
2. Now in a paniyaram plate add ghee or oil and pour in 1 tbsp batter in each portion and cook for 3-4 minutes and flip it over and cook the paniyarm for few more minutes.
3. Now the paniyaram will come out easily once cooked fully. Crispy Exterior with a cakey inside.
4. Serve it hot with tea or milk as a snack..
Karupatti Banana Pancakes/ Dosa:
1. To the Bonda batter add about 1/4 cup of water/ Milk in small increments and make it into a thick dosa batter. You should be able to draw 8 on the batter- check the video.
2. Pour the batter on a hot griddle/ tawa, add ghee and cook on both sides.
Now dosa too is ready. Stuff it with your favorite stuffing from fresh coconut to Nutella.
1. You can use just jaggery instead of palm jaggery too. 2. Baking soda is must for the appropriate texture. Without baking soda the bondas and paniyarams are gooey inside. 3. If you have added too much liquid add some more wheat flour/ sooji and bring it to the consistency.