Paneer is a fresh Indian cheese which is soft, creamy and decadent. It’s a vegetarians delicacy and very versatile non- melting cheese which can be perfect for gravies, salads and frying.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
As an Indian, paneer is part of our delicacy. Its one of the top selling dishes in any veg restaurant around the country and any party menu. That been said paneer is easy to make at home.
But as a beginner I struggled a lot to make the perfect paneer with the simple & humble ingredients at home. I have seen and tried many recipes on the internet but nothing gave me those perfect soft paneer. In fact I have come across rock solid paneer to melty and gooey paneer :(, for about couple of years now. Thank fully my kitchen newbie sister who taught me the right method and has saved me the money I spend buying paneer and the travel time to buy it. This small trick of her helped me a lot bcoz I live in a country were paneer is not readily or freshly available.
So this recipe is dedicated to my sisy (god sent paneer angel) for helping us enjoy fresh homemade paneer, which my 1 year too loves. Who knows what you could learn form a newbie :0..
Watch the video recipe here
Full fat milk
1/2 cup (optional)
1. Add full fat milk to a heavy bottom pot. Bring the milk to a boil on a medium flame by stirring frequently.
Stirring helps to avoid scorching the pot.
2. When the milk boils add yoghurt. Yoghurt acts as a coagulant and also helps in keeping the paneer soft.
3. By now the milk may start coagulating, then turnoff the flame.
4. Dilute Juice of 1 lime with 1 tbsp water.
5. Add Diluted lime juice/vinegar in small increments say about 1tsp each time, until the whey (greenish liquid) completely separates.
6. Rest for about 5 mins.
7. Then use a muslin/cheese cloth over the colander and strain the curds. You can gently allow the curds to get drain by leaving it for 10 minutes as such. Or just squeeze off the whey liquid.
8. If squeezing, rinse the curds in a cold water and then squeeze, be careful since the mixture will be hot.
9. At last add a heavy weight to the paneer as shown in the video and let it sit for 30-60 mins.
10. Now your soft paneer is ready to be enjoyed.
1. Yoghurt is optional and it makes the paneer soft. 2. Washing the paneer will remove any excess citric flavor.